23 May 2012

F&I Finance: Eaton & Marshall v. LDC Finance


The High Court has ordered that $7.8 million dollars held by LDC Finance supposedly as a secured creditor of failed Nelson finance company Finance & Investments (F&I) be returned to F&I and refunded to depositors owed some $15.9 million.  F&I had been borrowing from the public without issuing a prospectus. 
The 2008 recession affected many finance companies operating like banks, borrowing short and lending long.  A liquidity crunch propelled them into liquidation when investors demanded repayment.
LDC Finance along with F&I both went into receivership in 2008 after runs by depositors.  LDC Finance claimed security over F&I assets: 706 loans outstanding with a total face value of $13.3 million.  LDC had provided working capital finance to F&I.
Evidence was given that F&I was established in the 1960s by two car salesmen: Andrew Harding and Murray Schofield.  It operated like a small informal bank with transactions washing through the company’s cheque account.  F&I operated as a partnership.  In the 1960s, this did not require formal registration of a prospectus when soliciting working capital from the public.  Investors placed money with F&I on call, or for short term six months periods.
The rules changed in 1983 when securities legislation required partnerships like F&I to issue a prospectus when borrowing from the public.  F&I did not catch up with the new rules.  One of the penalties for trading without a prospectus is that the transaction is void: the money received has to be repaid in full, immediately.  A trust exists in relation to the unpaid money. 
After F&I went into receivership, unpaid investors sued claiming LDC as a secured creditor had no right to seize assets which represented “their” money.  In the normal course of events these investors would need to point to physical assets funded by their money.  But in this case, their funds had been banked in F&I’s bank account which had been overdrawn at various times.  Detailed investigations by forensic accountants established that individual investor’s deposits could not be tracked through F&I’s bank account into specific assets: individual F&I loans.
Justice Fogarty ruled that securities law created a trust over F&I’s assets in favour of the unpaid investors.  He further ruled that LDC was aware that F&I was trading without a registered prospectus at the time it took security over F&I assets.  This came to LDC’s knowledge when negotiating terms with F&I over the injection of further working capital after a seven million dollar F&I loan went sour in 2006. 
This knowledge meant assets covered by LDC’s claimed security were subject to a trust in favour of unpaid F&I investors.  LDC could have what was left over only after F&I investors were repaid out of F&I assets.
The owners of F&I will be personally liable to make up any shortfall in payments due to F&I investors.
Eaton & Marshall v. LDC Finance Ltd – High Court (23.05.12)
12.014